I was supposed to go home to Philly for Columbus Day weekend. Instead, two days ago I found myself curled up in the fetal position shivering on hospital paper sheets with a fever of 103.5. They swabbed my nose (gross!) and sent me out the fire exit all dolled up in a bendy face mask. On the way home, passer-bys gasped at my twitchy, shaky, sweaty, masky appearance. Kids ran away, visibly upset.
The doc called the next day. H1N1 virus (a.k.a swine flu). Confirmed. Actually, the first case he's seen in Chicago! But the best part? I must stay home for an entire week... thus missing my weekend at home and eating the airfare (thanks a lot American Airlines).
Anyway, this is Day 3 of my week long quarantine. I'm feeling ok. But I'm kinda, well, bored. So to pass the time, I've been:
- Doing jigsaw puzzles. Well, just one. But I've got the border done!
- Catching up on the news. Did you hear the Phillies won the World Series?!
- Looking out the window at my neighbor's TV. It's fun to try and figure out what they're watching. Like a spy.
- Seeing how long I can go not showering, wearing the same pajamas. If no one is allowed to visit you, you can smell however you want! It's great!
- When I get the mail: Wearing my mask in the elevator and facing the wall, totally still. It really freaks people out.
- Wearing my mask around the apartment and taking pictures of myself with my webcam. Surprisingly entertaining.
If you have suggestions for other super-neat things I can do with the next 4 days of my life, send them my way!