I’ve talked a little on this blog about all the ridiculous things I’ve been asked/heard people say regarding my race over the years, and just yesterday I got into a funny comment convo on the topic over at Jezebel. So I thought I’d put together a funny/tragic Friday post with a few of the "best hits" -
- “You have all the best Black features. Just like Beyoncé.”
- One person to another, with me standing there: “Go ahead, touch her hair! She doesn’t mind at all.” [YES I DO]
- Person: “Where are you from?” Me: “Philly.” Person: “No, like, originally?” Me: “Philly.”
- “Do you need a pillow when you sleep? Because your hair is so poofy!”
- Little girl: “You have crazy hair.” Me: “It’s not crazy. It’s just curly.” Little Girl: “Noooo, it’s CRAZY.”
- “You look just like [insert any light-skinned Black actress’ name here]!”
The one that floored a bunch of commenters (which I included in the post linked to above): “You’re Black, but you aren’t really Black.”
What does that even mean? Funny thing is, the person who said this is actually really nice, and I think he meant it as a compliment. Which is so unbelievably sad.
But this is just my modest list of particularly shocking comments. I’m sure others can add on with equally eyebrow-raising ‘ish.
Related: Black People Love Us