On Saturday, Hurricane Noel smacked Boston with cold rain, strong winds, and general outdoor discomfort all day long. And just my luck, my father also happened to be visiting me from Philadelphia. We had originally planned to go apple picking at Russell’s Orchard in Ipswich (home of Big Boy, the most enormous hog I’ve ever seen in my entire life) and then walk around the North End so that my dad could pretend to be a Patriot fighting the colonial powers (he likes doing that sometimes). But hanging from trees and wandering the winding North End streets seemed daft activities for such inclimate weather.
Though the floors are a little sticky and the beer is served in plastic cups, Good Times is the ultimate rainy day spot. Located in Somerville (I know, I know, you’re thinking Somerville is like a million miles away from Boston, right? Wrong-o, it’s only about 10 minutes up Rt. 93), the place has got it all. It even has disposable cameras for sale--only golden memories are recorded by way of disposable camera, we all know that. Here’s a rundown of all the goodness that Good Times offers.
Ryan’s checklist for fun!
- Arcade games: check (they even have a virtual jumprope and Dance Dance Revolution EXTREME)
- Air hockey: check
- Ping Pong: check
- Pool: check
- Batting cages: check
- Bumper cars: check
- Go-Karts: check
- Laser Tag: check
- Darts: check
- Bowling lanes: check
- Mini basketball court: check
- “Down the shore” (Philly-speak for Jersey shore) boardwalk games… you know, the ones that cough up those red tickets redeemable for everything from candy bars to flatscreen TVS: check
- Keno, scratch cards, lottery (to indulge your inner gambler): check
- A trillion and a half projector screens and televisions showing every sports game in the whole world: check
- Pitchers of beer: check
- Paintball: no… but Boston Paintball is right next door
As the weather in Boston quickly slips into its abysmal yearly depression, get to Good Times and show the cold who’s boss. And get there quick—rumor has it that, in its plot to take over the earth, IKEA bought the whole strip and plans to level Good Times (along with Boston Paintball) sometime next year. Booo.
Disposable camera shots